Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bargains are a girl's best friend

Dear Miss (or Mister) "Is expensive make up the only make up worth buying?",

When it comes to make up, girls (or boys) usually like to cough up money for the pricey high-brand make up. I admit, I used to be one of the those girls -- Notice the past tense. However, I didn't always purchase all of my make up in places like Bloomingdales or Sephora. Drugstore brand make up has always been my top choice.

High end make up is not just high end because of the brand but also because of the quality. My top favorite brands would be: Urban Decay, MAC, Make Up Forever, Smashbox and Benefit. I'd say that in terms of quality (and popularity), those are the best.

Is it really worth the buck?
If you ever want to invest in high end make up, you should definitely invest in eyeliners, eyeshadow primers, face primers, foundation, setting powder and at least one eyeshadow palette. Trust me, it's worth it. If you're still the thrifty type--not willing to invest.... Look for sales! Often times those brands hold sales on their websites. That's how I purchased my Urban Decay eyeshadow palette with ease, it was discounted %15. Trust me it was worth it! I purchased it about 2 years ago and I STILL have it: Awesomeness.

But it's been awhile since I've purchased any high end make up. Mostly because it burns holes in my wallet. I've gone back to my preference: drugstore make up. However, brands like L'Oreal and Revlon are trying their hand at improving the quality of their make up, extending their lines into a more "high-end" feel. L'Oreal with their HIP & Studio Secrets lines and Revlon with their Colorstay line, their quality has increased but their prices have increased along with it.



My favorite drugstore brands:

-L'Oreal
-Maybelline
-Revlon
-Milani
-NYX (rarely found in drugstores, can be found mostly in beauty supply stores/online)
-Wet & Wild (Cheap!!)
-N.Y.C. (Supa Cheap!!)
-Rimmel

Those are the best, in my opinion.

Now lets look into depth. You have to get to know the drugstore brands by playing around with them a bit but guess what, the saying goes: You get what you pay for. After years of experimenting with different products from different brands, I found out what each brand specializes in. It is my own experience that these brands have only particular products that are worth the purchase.

The break down:

Lipstick
1. Revlon (Colorstay, Colorburst)
2. Maybelline (Color Sensational)
3. Rimmel (Moisture Renew)

Foundation
1. Maybelline (Dream Smooth Mousse)
2. Revlon (Photo Ready)

Blush/Bronzer
1. Milani
2. NYC
3. NYX
4. Wet & Wild
5. L'Oreal (Discontinued products)


This is, of course, is my own personal opinion. What do you think? What are your favorite make up brands? Much like with shoes, purses, perfumes... There are just so many options when it comes to make up.

I hope that you now see how brands and quality may not ALWAYS be the only choice. After all, make up is only a temporary product. It runs out or gets old eventually.

With Love,
Shelly





No comments:

Post a Comment